Graduation Information and Deadlines
Graduation requires a great deal of planning and coordination by graduating students, various departments, and the Office of Graduate Studies. Please note that your full cooperation is needed for graduation to be a success.
You must complete the institutional requirements for your degree program and your department requirements in order to graduate. Consult the appropriate Graduate Bulletin for the institutional requirements, and with your advisor for your department requirements.
REQUIRED FOR GRADUATION
DEADLINE: Semester prior to intended graduation
- Submit your DEGREE AUDIT AND ADMISSION TO CANDIDACY form to the Office of Graduate Studies no later than the semester prior to applying for graduation (required - ALL students)
- For fall graduation, the deadline is no later than May 1. For example, for the Fall 2013 graduation, the Admission to Candidacy form must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies no later than May 1, 2013.
- For spring graduation, the deadline is no later than November 1. For example, for the Spring 2014 graduation, the Admission to Candidacy form must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies no later than November 1, 2013.
- Submit any changes to the above form (if necessary) by completing an ADDENDUM DEGREE AUDIT AND ADMISSION TO CANDIDACY form
- Ensure that you have an approved ADVISOR/THESIS COMMITTEE REQUEST form on file with the Office of Graduate Studies (required - thesis based students)
DEADLINE: Census Day of the intended graduation semester
(Spring 2013 graduation semester: Census Day - January 24, 2013)
- Complete the GRADUATION APPLICATION by Census Day
Text only versionof the semester you wish to graduate (required - ALL students)
ATTEND Graduation Salute to obtain Checkout Card -
March 21, 10:00am - 2:30 pm, 4:00 - 6:00pm, or
March 22, 10:00am - 2:30 pm
- Attend Graduation SALUTE, Student Center, Grand Ballroom. You will receive your checkout card and begin the checkout process (required - ALL students).
- Order your MS gown at SALUTE. After SALUTE MS gowns may be ordered in the CSM Bookstore.
- Complete the CAREER CENTER form. If you have problems submitting the form, please print out and take to the Career Center located in the Ben Parker Student Center, Suite 37.
- Checkout with the ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
- Return your KEYS to the Key Shop. Holds will be placed on student accounts until keys are returned.
- Verify your PERMANENT mailing address on Trailhead. Diplomas are mailed approximately four months after commencement.
- Verify your PERSONAL EMAIL address on Trailhead. The graduation photographer will communicate with you via your personal email address.
- Settle ACCOUNTS with the Cashier's Office
- Download and review the COMMENCEMENT HANDBOOK
DEADLINE: Thesis Format Approval Day - April 8, 2013
- Submit your THESIS electronically by the format approval deadline (required - thesis based students)
DEADLINE: Checkout Card Due - April 12, 2013
- Submit your completed CHECKOUT CARD to the Office of Graduate Studies by the due date (required - ALL graduating students)
- Complete your STATEMENT OF WORK COMPLETION form and submit with your checkout card (required - ALL graduating students)
- Obtain guest TICKETS when submitting your checkout card. Entry to Kafadar Commons will be by ticket only. Overflow seating will be available for guests without tickets.
- Complete the Graduate Student Exit QUESTIONNAIRE emailed to each graduating student
ATTEND Commencement Practice - May 1, 2013 (required - ALL who are attending Commencement)
- Attend Commencement PRACTICE May 1, 2013, Lockridge Arena, Student Recreation Center.
- Doctoral candidates: 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm
- Master candidates: 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Pick up your regalia:
- MS gowns will be distributed at PRACTICE
- PhD regalia will be distributed at check-in prior to the HOODING ceremony (see below)
IMPORTANT NOTE: You must
- Successfully complete all program requirements
- Meet your department requirements. Be sure to check with your advisor about departmental requirements.
- Order personalized announcements
- Make arrangements for graduates or guests with SPECIAL NEEDS by calling Student Life at (303) 273-3231
- Make arrangements for CHILDCARE by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Review ceremony dates and times (see below)
- Order your photos after the ceremony
- Complete the Student FINANCIAL AID exit loan counseling
- Check Parking Services for PARKING information
- Attend the ceremony - duration approximately two hours
- March out with the marshals and your fellow graduates at the conclusion of the ceremony. Graduates and guests should arrange to meet away from the main aisle to avoid interfering with the processional.
- Guests will be prohibited from approaching the stage to take photographs or videos, but they will be permitted to take pictures from their seats. A professional photographer will photograph each graduate as they receive their diploma cover.
THE COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY, May 10, 2013
- 7:30 to 8:45 AM
MANDATORY Check-in Master candidates, Lockridge Arena. MS pick up cap and tassel. If you fail to check-in on time you will be pulled from the graduation ceremony. NO EXCEPTION
- 8:45 AM
Line-up for procession. Please be on time.
- 9:00 AM
Doctoral Candidates escorted to line-up location for Graduation Ceremony.
- 9:30 AM
Procession March begins.
THE HOODING CEREMONY - Doctoral Candidates only
- 7:00 to 7:30 AM
MANDATORY Check-in Doctoral candidates. Location to be announced. If you fail to check-in on time you will be pulled from the hooding and the graduation ceremony. NO EXCEPTION
- 30 minutes following Commencement Ceremony
MANDATORY Return doctoral regalia to check-in location.
Student accounts will be charged $900 for unreturned regalia.
To purchase your own regalia, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies for information.
- Attendance at a commencement ceremony does not guarantee that your degree has been granted. All degree requirements must be met and verified before diplomas are printed.
- Graduation ceremonies are held in December and May. Students eligible for graduation are expected to attend the ceremony held at the end of their final semester. Students completing requirements during the summer semester are expected to attend the December ceremony.
- Reapply for graduation if you do not graduate at the time originally anticipated (required). Graduation applications are inactivated for those students who do not checkout and graduate in the semester in which they apply.